Friday, November 20, 2009

FAQ: Petitions, Procedures & Policies

1) What forms and petitions are available on-line?
There are at least two different web sites you can visit: Records, Registration & Evaluation and Advising & Academic Services petitions.

2) What is a Leave of Absence?
If you are eligible, you can file a Leave of Absence for up to two years and return without giving up your catalog year requirements. You do not have to file a Leave of Absence petition if you plan to miss one or two quarters and if you do not attend another 4-year university.

3) I have a major and want to take 20 or more units? What do I need to do?
You will need to contact the dean of your college and major. Each dean's office has there own card or form. See the link to locate your college dean: College Deans & Majors

4) I am undeclared, can I take 20 or more units? If so, what do I need to do?
Yes. You must have a 3.0 minimum to qualify and file a Course Overload card available in Advising & Academic Services, UH-380.

5) What is a "retroactive withdrawal"?
It is a petition to withdraw a whole quarter filed after the term. It is only considered for documented medical, psychological or military reasons. Additional requirements, restrictions and approvals are needed for partial quarter withdrawals.

6) Can I substitute a General Education course requirement?
Yes. You can file a petition in UH-380. It is available on-line at: GE Course Subsitution

7) What do I do if two classes overlap in time and I can't register in Mycoyote?
You can file a Simultaneous Enrollment petition in UH-380. It is available on-line. Signatures from BOTH professors will be required.

8) I need to drop a class and Census Date has passed. I'm undeclared. What do I do?
You can file a peitition to Drop After Census Date. You will be required to provide documentation and get approvals from your instructor and the chair of the course department. There is a limit of how many courses you can withdraw.

9) I need to drop a class and Census Date has passed. I have a major. What do I do?
You can file a peitition to Drop After Census Date. You will be required to provide documentation and get approvals from your instructor and the chair of the course department. There is a limit of how many courses you withdraw.

10) I need more time beyond one year to finish an "I" grade. What can I do?
You can file an Extension of Time for an Incomplete University Waiver petition. Check the 2nd box. It must include the completion date & have the instructor's signature.

11) What is "academic renewal"?
Under specific circumstances, a student can have up to 2 semesters or 3 quarters of previous course work disregarded from all consideration associated with requirements for a baccalaureate degree. See page 53 of the 2009-10 Catalog (Bulletin of Courses).

12) I failed a class. Can I repeat it?
Yes. You can repeat a class with a "C-" or below and have the first grade not count toward your GPA. It was formerly a "Petition to Discount Repeated Grade". Beginning Fall 2009, the form is called a "Petition for Grade Forgiveness". There is a limit of 24 units which can be done as an undergraduate. You can pick one up in UH-171 or click on the web link.

13) How do I calculate my GPA?
You can visit the following link and type in your units: GPA Calculator

14) Am I allowed to take classes at a community college while still attending CSUSB?
Yes. You will need to fill out a Concurrent Enrollment Form and get approval in UH-171. You can also download a copy through the link.

15) How can I add classes that are full?
You have to go to the class, take an add slip from the Registration Office with you and have the instructor sign it. The instructor has the option to add you or not.  Additionally, some departments have "waiting lists".  Contact the department of the class.

No comments: